[Tweeters] Nisqually January 11, 2017

Eric Slagle hannaslagle at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 19:36:56 PST 2017

Hi Tweeters,

Eighteen of us enjoyed a snowy Nisqually walk. The temperature hovered around 32 and snow fell until mid-morning. It was a beautiful setting and the birds were out enjoying too. Refuge tide chart showed low tide of 7' 4" at 10:46am.

Highlights for the group that did the shorter walk are below, followed by Jon's eBird report that includes all sightings for the day.

Visitor Center: Northern Flicker, Wilson's Snipe, Pied-billed Grebe, Green-winged Teal, Hooded Merganser, and a Beaver.

Riverside Boardwalk and Riparian Overlook: Pacific Wren, Brown Creeper, Downy Woodpecker, Common Raven, Red-tailed Hawk, Red Breasted Sapsucker; and at the river overlook, Common Merganser, Bufflehead and harbor seal.

Dike: Peregrine Falcon, Bald Eagle, Greater Yellowlegs, Dunlin, Northern Harrier, Green-winged Teal, Marsh Wren, Least Sandpiper, Virginia Rail, Common Goldeneye.
We watched the Peregrine chase a gull, and also saw the Peregrine and Bald Eagle skirmish in the air as they appeared to be competing for lunch rights to a Cackling Goose.

Total species: 59

Until next week when Shep will return. Phil will be back the following week.

Eric Slagle
Olympia

Here's Jon's eBird checklist for the entire walk.