[Tweeters] Spokane Riverfront Park Peregrine today

Tim O'Brien burrdnerd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 15:20:49 PST 2017

Sunday morning, I ventured out in the single digit temps to check out a
couple places. My last stop of the morning was at Riverfront Park. As I
circumnavigated the paths in the park, I was startled by the calling of a
Peregrine Falcon from overhead. I quickly spotted it flying and it was
carrying what looked to be a Rock Pigeon (something quite large). It
proceeded to the south of the big wagon and out of view. Then a second
time, it flew over again (without prey) and was calling again. I am
wondering if anyone that frequents downtown Spokane has noticed this
before. I would venture a guess that the cold has maybe forced the falcon
to where the birds are. This area as most know has a great population of
pigeons and crows. Anyhow, an unexpected surprise for me!

Also, in the park area, I spotted a single Yellow-rumped Warbler that
appeared to be looking for shelter along one of the concrete retaining
walls along the river. Also, observed 2 American Dippers in the river.
Mallard, Canada Goose, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Common Merganser, and
Double-crested Cormorant were in or nearby the river. I didn't see the
usual Wigeon flock.

I started the morning off out on the West Plains hoping to score Terry's
Barn Owl. No luck there, but did see a couple small flocks of Horned Larks
in the road near Hallet. Also, got lucky along Ritchey Road just north of
the veteran's cemetery, with five Gray Partridge in someone's driveway.

Stay warm!

Tim O'Brien
Cheney, WA