[Tweeters] Re: Yellow-shafted Flickers

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 12:04:50 PST 2017

Finding an apparently pure Yellow-shafted Flicker is somewhat rare in
Washington. We do get a few every year, but intergrades between
Red-shafted and Yellow-shafteds are much, much more common. The
intergrades can have any mix of traits and some can closely resemble
Yellow-shafted Flickers. To confirm a Yellow-shafted Flicker one would
want to see the color of the shafts as well as the details of the head
pattern (cheek, nape, and malar color). Last year I helped write a brief
article about identifying our flickers for eBird Northwest that can be
found at this link:

http://ebird.org/content/nw/news/northern-flicker-red-shafted-yellow-shafted-intergrades-which-do-you-have/

Good birding,
Ryan Merrill