[Tweeters] Bohemian Waxwings / Bird List

David Hutchinson florafaunabooks at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 13:53:40 PST 2017

Thanks to the kind tweet who mentioned them at Discovery Park. 22 of them were still flocking there last night among the small trees & shrubs in the South Meadow. Take the gravel trail which heads NW to the sand dunes They were flitting either side of the trail, not necessarily on the English Hawthorns. I had forgotten just how gray they are, rather different than the Cedar Waxwing.

I am not broadly a lister, but have to say this was my 224 th bird species for Discovery Park, going back to 1980. It was nice to start off the New Year with such an exciting species, seeing that I encountered no new species in 2016. I have had quite some encouragement from Discovery denizens to clean up my notebooks, scraps of lists and gaudy tales of likely non wild species, e.g. Eurasian Goldfinch & Chukar to make a total. So I had to throw out three duck species and half a dozen shorebirds, as could not find the trace of a note about Lesser Yellowlegs, Marbled Godwit or Long billed Dowitcher in over forty years. There is a lesson here I know! And sadly, despite the latest edtn of Gene's Birds of King County, please disregard a record of Long-tailed Jaeger attached to my name.

The good news is that there are at least twenty more reasonably common Washington

birds I have not encountered in Discovery Park. So good luck in 2017 to all you Tweeting types who stick to a small patch, park or region for your birding pleasure.

David Hutchinson

Flora & Fauna Books

3213 West Wheeler St, #6

Seattle, WA 98199