[Tweeters] Use of Laser Pointers

cgluckman at aol.com cgluckman at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 22:28:39 PST 2017

As Field Trip Chair for Admiralty Audubon in Port Townsend, I have been exploring the use of laser pointers for my leaders in light of a number of positive personal experiences of my own and passed on by others. It appears to be the consensus that if used properly, they can solve a major jam-up with groups trying to find elusive birds in grass, brush or trees with no negative impact on the birds. By properly, I mean the light is never to be shined on the bird, but in a suitable location nearby so that a short oral description would allow finding it quickly. By locating birds for everyone more rapidly, the group can move on faster with less disturbance to the birds. Any thoughts? A question I would like to resolve is green or red lasers? Is there a reason for one over the other? Thanks for any help.

David Gluckman
Pt. Townsend, WA
David 360.531.3325 Casey 360.531.3359