[Tweeters] Varied Thrush/H. nesting ? / Caryn / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Mon Jan 30 09:29:34 PST 2017

Good morning, Tweeters,

Just looked out (9am) and saw a Varied Thrush. Had not seen one since before Christmas or earlier.

Our Hummer was on her nest for several minutes after I saw her fly in. I think she's still prepping it but imagine she'll be laying soon. I get a "split branch effect" since her nest sits behind a branch (30' up or so). I can see her head on one side and tail on the other. It's a coin toss how long my neck will last.

I'm wondering if they build several nests prior to the first laying, case the first one gets destroyed. Any one seen evidence of this?

Good birding everyone!

Caryn / Wedgwood