[Tweeters] RFI- Lake Havasu/Mohave Co., AZ area birding

Amy Powell schillingera at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 17:58:22 PST 2017

I'm traveling with friends for a trip to Lake Havasu, AZ the first week of March. I checked Birding Pal and didn't really see anyone that birds that area. I also tried searching online and found only one book recommended by Arizona Field Ornithologists called Birds of the Lower Colorado River Valley by Kenneth Rosenberg but am not sure if it's still useful as it was published in 1991.

I will most likely not have a car and will have to rely on Uber or public transportation so the closer to Havasu NWR and Bill Williams NWR the better. I'd love to get out to bird at least one day, preferably combining a hike with birding- a caveat to birding with friends who don't bird is that I must sort-of bird.

My target birds would be Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Zone-tailed Hawk, Ridgway's Rail, Elf Owl, Ladderbacked Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo, Pinyon Jay, Juniper Titmouse, Crissal Thrasher, Rufous-crowned Sparrow due to time of year. I know that it's too early for Grosbeaks, some Tanagers, and Buntings.

Thanks for any help!

Happy birding,

Amy Powell
Renton, WA