[Tweeters] Double Dipping in Tacoma (again)

Jon Houghton jon.houghton at hartcrowser.com
Tue Jan 31 17:46:22 PST 2017

Hi Tweeterdom - Itching to add some new birds to my Washington list for the year, I took advantage of a mid-day meeting in Tacoma to look (once again) for that elusive Slaty-backed Gull, today. No dark backed gulls visible from the 11th Street bridge between 12 and 1230, or from 2 to 2:45, I'm afraid, despite the hundreds of gulls hanging out in the river and on rooves and containers. Nor was he hanging out near Gog-li-hi-te from 3 to 3:45. Worse yet, the only flycatching going on at the middle pond during that time period was by a nice bright Yellow-rumped Warbler, acting much like a Phoebe. Since the Phoebe was there at 12:30, it must have an alternative hangout, which I failed to find, despite walking around the entire field. The previously reported Northern Shrike was there (found by Heather V.) briefly, and the 'Common' Teal was quite findable among the 80 or so sleeping waterfowl, mostly GW Teal in the pond. Happy Birding! - Jon Houghton, Edmonds