[Tweeters] Differences In How Crows and Ravens Fly

Rick Tyler rhtyler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 15:48:09 PDT 2017

Ravens frequently soar, crows rarely do. I have seen soaring crows in a
high wind, but it's pretty rare.

Ravens are also (generally) quiet when flying, while crows are noisy.

Crows also look more compact when flying, and have those feathery wing tips
that can bend up a little. To me, Ravens look like flying crosses, with
relatively longer tails and heads.

And, of course, the classic difference is that crows have semi-circular
tails and and ravens have spade-shaped tails.

I really liked "Ravens in Winter" by Bernd Heinrich. John Marzluff of UW
has written a couple of good books on crows.

-- Rick

--
Rick Tyler