[Tweeters] Help with sandpiper ID, please

Barry Brugman bbrug15 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 15:28:29 PDT 2017

I'd like some help with the identification of a sandpiper I saw at Canyon
Park Wetlands in Bothell this afternoon. It was larger than the nearby
Least Sandpipers and much lighter in color. My first thought was
Sanderling, but it didn't seem quite right for that. after studying my
pictures and my field guide, I think it's a juvenile Baird's Sandpiper. It
seems very early for that, though, and I've only seen Baird's a couple of
times before, so I'd like some help. There's a good chance I'm missing
something obvious, and I'd like to get it right.

Here is a link to some pictures of the bird:

http://www.barry15.com/2017_Birding_Reports/December.html

Thanks very much,

Barry Brugman
Kirkland