Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jul 13 13:27:24 PDT 2017

Tweets – it was overcast this morning, but not too cold, and it was pretty birdy. There’s not too much chance of surprises at this time of year, but the birding remains very good anyways. We’re beginning to see a little bit of post-breeding foraging, so a few species showing up that didn’t actually nest in the park.

Highlights:
a.. Rock Pigeon – a couple of flyovers – first since early April
b.. Virginia Rail – one heard across the slough – first since early April
c.. Spotted Sandpiper – two at the weir
d.. Glaucous-winged Gull – at least 6 – first group of gulls since mid-May
e.. Cooper’s Hawk – two flying together doing a bit of a dance
f.. Barn Owl – two that looked to be juveniles, flying the East Meadow 4:45-5:10
g.. ALL SEVEN SWALLOW SPECIES – Including a lone BANK SWALLOW and about a half dozen NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS over the East Meadow
h.. Cedar Waxwing – our first juveniles of the year
i.. Black-throated Gray Warbler – What appeared to be a family group with at least 2 juveniles and at least 1 adult, just north of the heronry – First since early May
j.. Savannah Sparrow – several juveniles
k.. Lazuli Bunting – Male singing from his usual perches near the Viewing Mound
l.. Bullock’s Oriole – Adult pair and a couple of young ones at 2nd Dog Swim Beach
A the lake, we saw some Wood Ducks fleeing from a couple of RIVER OTTERS. We did not see the BOBCAT photographed yesterday, however.

For the day, 61 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com