[Tweeters] County Yearlist Project mid-year update available at WA Birder

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 04:52:26 PDT 2017

Hi Tweeters & Inland NW Birders

An updated version of the 2017 County Yearlist Project is up and available at Washington Birder. We've updated all 39 counties as of the mid-way point in the year. Thanks to everyone who has contributed by sending county compilers their sightings &/or posting on eBird.

At the mid-year point, as summer gets into full wing, this is a decent time to compare totals with previous years.Twenty counties have reported higher species counts this year compared with last year. 17 have lower totals this year, and 2 counties have exactly the same mid-year total as last year.

30 counties have totals within ten of last year’s total, perhaps a sign of some stability in figuring out what the first half of the year looks like.

Statewide, the total of 362 is two lower than last year and the second lowest of the last 6 years.. Western Washington and Eastern Washington are both running three below last year’s mid-way total.

Here’s a side-by-side comparison with mid-way totals for the past 6 years [if the table comes through legibly]:

Year 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012
Washington State 362 364 369 358 369 370
Western Washington 320 323 334 320 325 334
Eastern Washington 299 302 301 299 308 299

54 species have been seen in all 39 counties by this point; 146 have been seen in 30 or more counties — those would be our Washington ‘regulars’ —

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/ <http://www.wabirder.com/>

A direct link to the 2017 county yearlist & the list of county compilers contact info:
http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html>

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA.

One technical note: I’ve left the checklists in the taxonomic order we began the year with rather than trying to engineer an updated version mid-way through — so Thayer’s Gull is still present and scientific names are the ‘old’ ones — with next year, we’ll update everything.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA