[Tweeters] Horned Puffin - no

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Tue Jul 25 15:06:53 PDT 2017

Hi Tweets

I arrived in Neah Bay at about 11 am. As I started scanning, Michael Hobbs
drove up and said he had been looking for two hours and had not been able to
find the bird. I worked the bay over for the rest of Monday (11 to 6, break
for dinner, and then til 7:30) - tons of Rhinoceros Auklets, but no Horned.
A couple of times a preening Rhino would show it's white belly - momentary
hope - but the rest of the bird was all dark.

I stayed the night and started birding at 5:30 a.m. - Fewer Rhinos and more
scattered, no sign of the Horned. Worked the Bay again from a bunch of
locations and some in great light. Good numbers of Rhinos, lots of Pigeon
Guillemots, White-winged Scoters and Surf Scoters. At least 7 Bald Eagles on
the mud (2 adults and 5 young). Finally quit at 9:15 a.m. to start the drive
home. Looks like the Horned has moved on.

Good Birding

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA

Mail to bell asoc a t iso me dia dot com