[Tweeters] Upper Cowlitz Birding 7/25

Adam Crutcher acrut44 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 09:36:22 PDT 2017

Hello tweets,
Jason Vasallo, Josh Glant, and I spent much of the day down in Lewis County
yesterday. We started at Riffe Lake and continued up to White Pass and
totaled 78 species which is pretty good for the time of year. Here are some
highlights:

Peters Road Wetlands
Cinnamon Teal - Female
Sora - Juvenile seen briefly
Wilson's Snipe - One flying in and out wetlands
Western Kingbird - Sitting on wires with swallows then dropped down out of
sight
Swallows - Over 1000 Violet-green on wires along with small numbers of
Tree, Rough-winged, Barn and Bank
House Wren - One in trees just past wetlands
Lazuli Bunting - Female on wires

Sand Lake Trail
Mountain Bluebird - Over a dozen birds mostly early on in burn
Cassin's Finch - Male seen in snags and one other heard
Fairly dead otherwise

White Pass
Peregrine Falcon - Flew threw cloud of swallows
Mountain Bluebird - Handful of juveniles around ski lifts
Chipping Sparrow - Juvenile at ski lifts
Swallows - Around 500 Violet-green Swallow's with 100 Barn Swallows and a
few Vaux's Swift sprinkled in

The trip was quite fun with Peters Road being the highlight. In the town of
Randle Violet-green Swallows covered most power lines and we estimated
somewhere around 5,000 of them. Unfortunately the Sand Lake trail was
pretty quite when we got up there around 9:20.