[Tweeters] Yesterday's Mt Rainier WOS ptarmigan search trip - no ptarmigan, but Gray-crowned Rosy-finches

Stefan Schlick greenfant at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 31 08:26:00 PDT 2017

While we did not find any ptarmigans yesterday on a picture perfect day hiking the Skyline/Golden Gate trails out of Paradise at Mt. Rainier, we did find 33 species of wildflowers, 3 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches (one juvie was 5ft away from us for several minutes at Panorama Point) and 3 American Dippers. We used the excellent wildflower pamphlet at https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/nature/upload/2016-Subalpine-Wildflowers.pdf (an older version of it, actually), but you can also pick up a copy of it at the visitor center. If you do go, leave the parking lot before 7am to avoid the masses.

Stefan Schlick

Hillsboro, OR