birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 18:06:19 PDT 2017

Tweets - it was overcast, and then the mist began, which turned into rain for about a half an hour.  It cleared up a bit after 9.  But it was birdy.
Highlights:
Wood Duck - female with 10 small ducklings at the Rowing ClubGreen Heron - one from the Lake Platform Spotted Sandpiper - three below weir, some displays Black Swift - 2 twice or 4; first of 2017Red-breasted Sapsucker - many sightings -7 birds?Six Swallow Species - missing only Bank; Martin in one of the gourds BREWERS SPARROW - 3rd time this year!  On fence between Dog Meadow and East Meadow Lazuli Bunting - male chasing female near Viewing MoundDark-eyed Junco - first juveniles of the year
Matt heard 3 species of owl pre-dawn: 2 juvenile Barn Owls, one on the far side of slough, Great Horned Owl somewhere near the nest we found last week, and Western Screech-Owl near the east end of the boardwalk.
Last Friday, a 2-week-old owlet was found under the nest, and taken to a wildlife center.  The nest was empty today.
The Anna's Hummingbirds near the start of the boardwalk fledged yesterday, we heard from a photographer.
For the day, 71 species, with Black Swift new for the year.
- Michael Hobbs