[Tweeters] Acorn Woodpecker at Lyle-Balch Cemetery

johntubbs at comcast.net johntubbs at comcast.net
Fri Jun 2 19:47:08 PDT 2017

Hi folks,

Trisha and I spent several days in the Columbia Gorge (Maryhill State Park) birding various locations. One of my favorite places in Klickitat County is Lyle-Balch Cemetery, near Balch Lake. It has always been birdy when I've visited and is in the area where Acorn Woodpeckers are a possibility. Until this trip, I had not been fortunate enough to find one. This trip, Thursday June 1st, we were almost finished birding the location when I saw a woodpecker fly from the direction of Balch Lake past the 'back' side of the cemetery (opposite the road and gate). The pattern of the woodpecker was striking and I immediately thought Acorn Woodpecker. I hadn't seen where it landed but upon looking, found it on top of a wood power pole behind the cemetery, out in the open. It cooperated for photos, which are included in my ebird checklist for that visit. I'm in the process as I write this of adding additional ebird reports - we didn't have sufficient connectivity to upload lists the same day. We also spent a great morning birding Rock Creek Road/Canyon, which produced some interesting species as well.

The ebird checklist containing the Acorn Woodpecker is at:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37344088 .

John Tubbs
Lacey, WA
johntubbs at comcast.net