[Tweeters] American Redstart

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sun Jun 4 16:15:37 PDT 2017

Hello all,

We headed out to the Millet pond on Northshore Drive in western Walla
Walla county this morning hoping this stormy weather might have brought
something different in.

After walking around all the ponds I decided to get out of the wind and
walk around the northeast side - the big cottonwoods block the wind
somewhat. Just after rounding the northeast corner I heard an American
Redstart singing - very familiar with song as these birds nested in our
yard in Pennsylvania when I was young.

After searching I finally spotted the bird and radio'd Mike - it took
him 15 minutes to get to me - I used playback for 10 seconds - enough to
bring the bird in - but it came in close in a Russian Olive and chipped
at us, fanning its tail - only popping out here and there - as I was
trying for a photo with no luck.

It is a first year male - singing almost constantly - so may stay around
awhile. The habitat is cottonwoods with coyote willow, roses and russian
olives - plenty of cover.

Our last redstart in the county was August of 2015 at Bennington Lake.
These birds used to nest in the foothills here 35 years ago - not sure
why they no longer breed in our county - at least we haven't detected
them and I have walked the areas in June every year hoping - - -

Checked the Walla Walla River delta briefly - some mud, many Canada
Geese, 33 Caspian Terns but NO shorebirds.

Yesterday at Whitman Mission I found our first of year Red-eyed Vireo -
another species that used to nest in our foothills but hard to find now.

Good birding, MerryLynn

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley