[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 6/14/17

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 12:31:13 PDT 2017

Tweets,

Sorry for the short post but my computer has been giving me fits lately.

Let's start again.

Yesterday 40 of us enjoyed a nice walk at Nisqually. It was mild and
calm but the birds weren't as cooperative as I would have liked. We
had a -0.6 low tide at 3:34 and the vegetation is getting very high so
things were either hidden or way out.

Highlight of the day is the active BULLOCK'S ORIOLE nest in the
parking lot near the ed center. Both parents were bringing food to the
nest that is high in a lone cottonwood tree between the access road
and the parking lot.

We also had great looks as a VIRGINIA RAIL scurrying back and forth
across a little mud flat feeding young.

Another good sighting was a female WOOD DUCK with 9 ducklings on the
pond behind the visitor center. There was a pair if GADWALL on front
of the visitor center and a couple of female HOODED MERGANSERS on the
refuge, none with young.

CEDAR WAXWINGS and BAND-TAILED PIGEONS were feeding on the elderberry
bushes and there were several WILLOW FLYCATCHERS about.

For the day I had40 species. Mammals seen included BLACK-TAILED DEER
and COTTONTAILED RABBITS.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com