Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jun 22 13:00:07 PDT 2017

Tweets – Our summer solstice edition of the survey was gorgeous, sunny, windless, birdy, and a rather chilly 45 degrees to start! Baby birds were everywhere. We had a very enjoyable, relaxed pace walk, and we spent a long time trying to get looks at birds. Still managed to hear-but-never-see several species.

Highlights:

a.. Wood Duck – 2 adult females and ~5 ducklings at lake
b.. Hooded Merganser – first since April; eclipse male at Rowing Club
c.. Rufous Hummingbird – probably ten juveniles noted, plus some adults
d.. Spotted Sandpiper – two adults and a downy baby below weir
e.. CASPIAN TERN – three flew down the slough – First of Year
f.. Great Blue Heron – fledged young all around the park, nests active with a variety of ages of young
g.. Green Heron – adult and juvenile seen from Lake Platform
h.. Barn Owl – Matt heard young in windmill *again* – 3rd clutch???’
i.. Red-breasted Sapsucker – One fledged baby and one still in the nest in snag near east end of boardwalk, both being fed
j.. All 5 common woodpecker species
k.. MERLIN – flew through Tree Swallow swarm over Pea Patch
l.. Pacific-slope Flycatcher – heard singing, eventually saw west of Dog Meadow
m.. All 6 common westside swallow species
n.. Orange-crowned Warbler – one, looked to have bathed recently, possible juvenile
o.. Wilson’s Warbler – one heard singing near Rowing Club building
Babies/juveniles were noted of the following species: Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Mallard, Rufous Hummingbird, Spotted Sandpiper, Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, Red-breasted Sapsucker, American Crow, Black-capped Chickadee, Brown Creeper, American Robin, European Starling, House Finch, Dark-eyed Junco, and Red-winged Blackbird.

For the day, 67 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com