[Tweeters] Red Breasted Sapsucker, Baby Towhees, etc. / Caryn / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Sat Jun 24 08:18:15 PDT 2017

Good early morning, Birders, (sorry, I just can't bring myself to use the word containing the "T" word these days...)

Heard a flicker on the telephone pole across the street yesterday and today but then this morning I heard a different "hammering" and looked over and a Red Breasted Sapsucker was drumming on the same spot! It then flew on to the next pole and was able to get a shot of it with my new superzoom (2000mm!) to confirm.

Then in the back yard my husband "spotted" the first baby Rufous sided Towhee. He'd been calling it a Spotted Towhee and had to update him on the name change. He is a great spotter!!

We also had a couple of rats beneath the feeder (they've been quite happy beneath the suet with all the "droppings"). Needless to say I did not take a "shot" of them! Would have liked to!! Any way to notify the owl they are here? I did hear him a couple of weeks ago - but too far away...guess I'll try ringing the dinner bell!

Stay cool out there!

Caryn / Wedgwood