[Tweeters] Wenas area Indigo Bunting and Least Flycatcher still present yesterday. Plus an evil weasel.

Jeff Kozma jcr_5105 at charter.net
Mon Jun 26 21:28:38 PDT 2017

Hi, Lonnie. Thank you for reporting the weasel predation. I have monitored cavity nesting birds in the Wenas from 2005-2013. I have found dead adult Western Bluebirds, White-headed Woodpeckers, and Hairy Woodpeckers in cavities that I attributed to weasels getting in the cavities and killing the incubating adults. I never witnessed it, but your observations verify what I was assuming that weasels can climb trees and get in cavities! Can you send me the .jpg of the photo of the weasel looking out of the cavity so that I may use it in future presentations?

Thank you.

Jeff Kozma, Wildlife Biologist: Yakama Nation