[Tweeters] "Baby bird brought to Seattle from Lk Talapus - now what?"

clsouth at u.washington.edu clsouth at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 27 12:43:55 PDT 2017

Generally speaking, most baby birds have not been abandoned. They have left the nest (the most dangerous place for predation), as a safety measure, and the parents are nearby to feed them.
Almost all corvids do so, and I know from my research that American Crows have to have the food forced down their throats, and probably many other birds do to. Therefore, just giving a baby bird food will not usually work. Also, high protein, in the form of bugs is what almost all parent birds feed their hatchlings (American Goldfinches being one notable exception). Plus they need to be feed repeatedly, and frequently. Most of us don't have time.

Here is a link to one of the articles I wrote about just this problem.

http://www.shorelineareanews.com/2014/06/for-birds-crowsnestlings-usually-leave.html

If a bird is obviously injured, taking them to a trained bird rehabber is really the best action, otherwise most "rescued" birds will die from our "kindness".

I am all for saving an injured bird, but a bird that appears alone on the ground is not injured, just in hiding...

Best Regards,

Christine Southwick
N Seattle/Shoreline
clsouthwick at q.com