Janka and Michael Hobbs MJCT_Hobbs at msn.com
Thu Jun 29 12:06:55 PDT 2017

Tweets – thin overcast burned off to gentle sun; temps were cool but not cold, no wind. A nice day. The peak of breeding is passing and already we’re seeing some species begin to clear out. But even as we enter the “summer doldrums”, there’s still a lot to see at Marymoor.

Highlights:

* Wood Duck – several females with ducklings
* Mallard – some recently hatched ducklings
* COMMON NIGHTHAWK – Matt heard one around 4am
* Black Swift – maybe as many as a dozen
* Vaux’s Swift – also about a dozen
* Rufous Hummingbird – only one, a lone juvenile
* Caspian Tern – 2 over lake, 1 earlier
* Green Heron – two juveniles together, two sightings of lone adult(s)
* Cooper’s Hawk – adult caught some kind of bird
* Barn Owl – Matt heard baby in windmill, and had an adult come to the windmill. Then, as late as 5:08, two others were flying around the East Meadow
* BARRED OWL – Matt heard one south of the Rowing Club building early – our first since 2012
* Purple Finch – only heard one
* Orange-crowned Warbler – one singing across the slough
* Lazuli Bunting – one still singing from cherries at Compost Piles

Misses today included Canada Goose, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Golden-crowned Kinglet, and Bullock’s Oriole. Still, we managed 60 species for the day.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com