[Tweeters] ACCIPITER ID

Gene Beall gene.beall at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 22:57:49 PDT 2017

A hearty “thank you” to all the folks who responded to my ID question concerning Sharp-shinned Hawk vs Cooper’s Hawk. I truly appreciate you taking the time to look at the photos and provide responses!

For the benefit of others, no one replied with any great certainty that the bird was absolutely one species or the other and all offered traits to consider and that might suggest one species or the other. As a result of all your comments I will certainly observe with a more educated view next time, and attempt to get certain photos that would help in making the ID. Ed’s parting comment of “I’m not sure” pretty much sums up my conclusion at this point.

And by the way, the article Ed references below is indeed interesting and enlightening…and comforting to know that I’m not alone in feeling challenged with this ID.

Thank you again!

Gene Beall

Sammamish, WA

Gene.beall at gmail.com