[Tweeters] Snohomish MT Bluebird-no; Seattle Swamp Sparrow-yes

plkoyama at comcast.net plkoyama at comcast.net
Sat Mar 18 12:27:17 PDT 2017

Tweets,
Yesterday a.m. David and I took a quick run to Shorts School Rd near Snohomish to look for the Mountain Bluebird and had no luck, searching for about an hour. We ran into a couple of other birders who were also unsuccessful between about 9:30-11:30 a.m. I later talked to Steve Dang, who was there around noon and also missed the bird. The weather was decent with high clouds and no rain. All of us checked the fencing and fields on both side of the road and scoped from the WDFW area.

Today Steve and I went down to the Center for Wooden Boats on South Lake Union from about 10:30 a.m. until 11:15 a.m. in pouring rain. From the covered area on the way to the WB Center, after about 20 minutes, the Swamp Sparrow appeared on the east side of the walkway (the right side as you face the lake.) The bird worked its way left in the foliage for about 10 minutes, dove under ferns and rhodie, and did not reappear after 10 more minutes, at which time our parking limit expired. This was a 2-person job, as one of us was looking to the west of the walkway and the other to the east. With its short showing, a lone person might’ve missed it in the discouraging weather.
Penny Koyama, Bothell
plkoyama at comcast dot net