[Tweeters] A very birdy day, Vancouver area

Michelle Maani lamoustique at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 16:57:27 PDT 2017

Home (Salmon Creek): Lesser Goldfinch (1), Purple Finch (1), a non-stop parade of Red-breasted Nuthatches,  Chestnut-backed, and Black-capped Chickadees, at the feeder.  Four Red-breasted Sapsuckers were testing my house's acoustic qualities this morning, but decided trees worked better.  A Pileated Woodpecker made a few brief stops at trees but disappeared when the camera showed up. I drove to Frenchman's Bar park.  Not many ducks about, but I saw a hundred Sandhill Cranes land in a field near the park and stay briefly there.  I also saw hundreds of geese flying overhead, I would say they were Cackling Geese from the calls although they were too far to identify by sight. The paths where I usually bird in the area were flooded.  I could hear Osprey calling, but never saw them.From there I drove to Vancouver Lake Park.  The park was also flooded, there was no beach and most of the paths that were not elevated were also under water.  I saw the usual Western Jays and Crows, and could hear the Red-winged Blackbirds singing and saw quite a few American Robins.  In the fields across from the park I saw thirty Great White Egrets.
I then drove to McMinneman's on the Columbia River. I saw a few Greater Scaup on the water, as well as Mallards.  One goose decide that occupying an Osprey nest is a good idea. I wonder if the owners of the nest will feel the same? https://www.flickr.com/photos/11815777@N07/33230667500
I also saw a Western Grebe fishing in the water.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/11815777@N07/33484775981/in/photostream/

Michelle MaaniSalmon Creek Vancouver, Washington