[Tweeters] Five times is a charm! - Lk. Union Swamp Sparrow

Jon Houghton jon.houghton at hartcrowser.com
Sat Mar 25 13:15:26 PDT 2017

Hi Tweets - two summers ago, I made 5 stops in Skykomish without seeing the (to me, mythical) Caracara that was alleged to be there. Today, spurred by Ryan Merrill's continual ebird postings, and a brief respite from the rain, I made one last trip to South Lake Union in a desperate fifth attempt to find the Swamp Sparrow that's been seen off and on for months near the Center for Wooden Boats. I'm amazed to report that we actually found the bird, acting a lot like a mouse, between the CWB gangway west to MOHAI, and the dock along the east side of MOHAI. Despite its mouse-like behavior, it made occasional passes between clumps of vegetation along the water, before disappearing under the larger mass of dead topped veg near MOHAI. It even paused a bit for some grassy photos! Happy Birding! - Jon Houghton, Edmonds