[Tweeters] A monochromatic morning at Lowman Beach + a towhee question

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Sun Mar 26 14:43:46 PDT 2017

Hi Tweets,

You don’t need me to tell you what a drizzly gray day it’s been, but it was fun spending a while at Lowman Beach in West Seattle, photographing the mostly monochromatic birds and other wildlife down in the water.

Photos of a Barrow’s Goldeneye, a Brant, and a nice nearshore Common Loon in winter plumage are on my Flickr site<https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/> — with a bonus photo of another welcome black-and-white sighting, a small pod of transient orcas.

I also want to ask about an eBird “rare bird alert,” reported as "Spotted Towhee (maculatus Group) (Pipilo maculatus [maculatus Group])." I was surprised that Spotted Towhees of this group would be considered rare since they’re frequently in my back yard; is there something about this sighting that I’m misunderstanding or missing altogether? Were they in a weird location? Or am I just lucky to have rare birds around all the time?

Since I learned from Tweeters that some of my juncoes were actually the less-common Slate-colored Juncoes, it’s entirely plausible that I’m about to learn something new about towhees...

Thanks much,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker
Pelly Valley, West Seattle