[Tweeters] Towhee Behavior / Caryn / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Thu Mar 30 08:39:52 PDT 2017

Good morning bird lovers,

Had a pair of Spotted Towhees in my smoke tree this am (this was a day ago really), which is easy viewing from my living room window. The male splayed his tail and the flitted around in the tree and then the female followed the male to the backyard - they have a route between our house and the neighbors.

I went to the kitchen window and they were in the weigela and sarcococca and "on the fence" - a usual hangout for them. They flushed several juncos who also hang out there.

Does anyone know how close to this mating behavior do they nest? I know it's difficult their ground/low shrub nests, but I am wondering if this behavior indicates close proximity to their possible nest building site.

The websites seem to skim over this and all say the same things. If anyone can recommend a more "in-depth" site, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Caryn / Wedgwood