[Tweeters] GC Sparrow / Fox (?) Sparrow and Hummer update / Caryn/Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Mon May 1 08:59:23 PDT 2017

Good morning, birders,

This morning at 8am I spotted a Golden Crowned Sparrow feeding and then another sparrow, I think. I initially thought it was a Fox Sparrow, but the tail was either too short or missing. It was too large to be the Pacific Wren we've seen, though it hasn't been around in a while. The markings looked like a Fox Sparrow, but couldn't study it long enough to be sure.

In the meantime, Mother Eartha has been hunkered down on her nest, rolling her eggs and revving her motor, keeping them warm. I'm expecting that any day now the eggs should be hatching (I only wish I could see them...). I just hope I'm not out of town when it occurs. She has been on the nest nearly constantly for approximately 12 days now after the nest was built.

Occasionally I can see her catching some zzzz's, her eye (the one I can see) closing briefly, but always on the alert. Soon she'll be on duty with constant feedings. And I will keep my feeders clean and full. But there are many flowers available coming into bloom now (although I have something blooming all year long), so she'll be set in case the feeders are low in my absence.

Stay tuned...

Caryn / Wedgwood