[Tweeters] Sage Thrasher yard bird

Dee Dee deedeeknit at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 11:32:51 PDT 2017

Yesterday in the gray weather I saw a bird in my yard that I couldn't identify, despite quite a bit of time to observe it (at noon and again saw it around 4:40pm) as it hopped about my garden all hunkered. It just looked all dark gray with heavily streaked underparts on light background, and white/dark lines on chin, grayish legs, and too big to be a sparrow. Long tail held closed. The closest I could come up with were Pipit, Hermit Thrush, and Sage Thrasher, but couldn't see anything to positively clinch what it was since I have not seen either Pipits or Sage Thrashers and thought them unlikely candidates, and color wrong for the thrush. This morning in the good light it obligingly reappeared and I could clearly confirm what I thought I might have imagined yesterday--yellow iris. And white tips on sides of tail (it didn't fan it even once when I was watching yesterday).

That plus its "better weather posture" today and other attributes makes it clear that, here in Edmonds, is a Sage Thrasher! Pretty cool yard bird it really enjoyed our bare earth veg beds...has anybody else in Pugetopolis had the pleasure of seeing one in this area?

Dee Warnock
Edmonds