[Tweeters] Hummingbird in thunder storm / Caryn / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Thu May 4 17:09:07 PDT 2017

Hello birders,

Watching Mother Eartha, during the storm today (4:15-4:45), I was amazed at behavior I've never seen. Through the scope, I could see her on the nest, bill pointed skyward, like a tiny bittern, frozen in place. I thought at first she might be in torpor, since she barely moved. Droplets of water collected on her bill and dripped down to her forehead, but she did not shake it off. I kept waiting for them to drip down, but oddly, they just sat there like jewels. In the downpour, she still faced skyward. Then, when the sun broke through, the water on her glistened. I could see her dark eye, barely blinking, framed through crossed pine needles, also laden with droplets.

She finally lowered her head and shifted around and stitched at the nest with her bill. She rested there awhile and I watched until she lifted off for a well-earned break.

A lovely bright spot in the storm.

Caryn / Wedgwood

The sky is darkening again, I'll see if this behavior is repeated.