[Tweeters] Safe to check spotting scope in luggage?

Hilary Barnes habarnes at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 12:10:39 PDT 2017

Greetings experienced nature travelers-

We will be visiting Kauai soon for a week, and I would like to take my spotting scope along, or, at least have access to one while there. I have a rather clunky Vortex scope and a study Manfroto 190 tripod. We took it to Sanibel Island, FL, once, and I think I took the scope in my carry-on and the tripod in a large suitcase. Remembering the airport trek, I am considering checking the whole shebang and using a TSA approved suitcase lock. Your feed back on equipment management, safety and security would be appreciated.

Oh, and any birding contacts or tips would be wonderful as well! We will be staying in Princeville on the north shore, and will be renting a car. I have found a lot of useful information online, and have copies of "A Pocket guide to Hawai'i's Birds" and "Enjoying Birds and Other Wildlife in Hawai'i'" from a previous tag-along trip to Oahu for my husband's atmospheric science work group meeting. The point of this trip is actual R&R- birding and botany will take place both deliberately and at leisure. Thanks for your input-