[Tweeters] hawk IDeas?

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Wed May 10 02:02:16 PDT 2017

A friend wrote me yesterday (5/9) that when walking up in the Pinehurst neighborhood (NE Seattle) at around 7:50 p.m., he and his wife "saw 15 hawks fly over us, as though in a kettle" like he "used to see Broadwings in back east coming up the Connecticut River valley. They were too small to be Redtails. Could they have been Swainsons? I don't think that there are any species that come up the West coat in groups like that. We didn't used to have Broadwings on the West coast. Has that changed? What could they have been? They were definitely hawks and not crows!"
I remember that a Broad-winged Hawk (solo, I think) was seen up in Edmonds a year or 2 ago, but no "kettle".
Thoughts?

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net