[Tweeters] Safe to check spotting scope in luggage?

Georgia Conti antep12 at gmail.com
Wed May 10 11:02:02 PDT 2017

I tried to respond privately to Hilary but got an automatic message asking
me to prove who I was and then the link didn't not work. I like privacy
but, gee whiz, if the process to get to the real person is onerous, I give
up. Well, until this note from Karen. Folllowing is what I previously
tried to send Hilary:

I often travel with my high end (Leica) scope attached to my carbon fiber
tripod in hand. It is my "personal item". Unless I am headed to
Gambell/St. Lawrence Island or on a small plane where everything gets
weighed, my personal item doesn't get weighed and thus I can put heavier
items in my checked bag or my carry on small suitcase that fits overhead.
My other electronics go in my backpack - camera, small peaker, iPhone,
iPad, binocs, etc. and these are carry on and then put overhead. (sometimes
if I must take heavy hiking boots, I tie them to the outside of my carry on
back pack, again to lighten the load for checked things. When I pass thru
security I put my scope on the conveyor belt or in one of those rectangular
plastic containers. Most folks, including TSA agents, ask what I am going
to photograph and they are a bit surprised when I say I use the scope to
watch birds. I have had some very nice conversations with travelers with
my scope in hand. Plus, I have always found space overhead for my scope,
and I've never had to take the scope off the tripod. I live in Mexico and
I often travel internationally or to various parts of Mexico. Over twenty+
years I have never experienced problems, and my scope has never been
damaged.

I hope this helps.

Georgia
Lake Patzcuaro Mexico but formerly from Seattle/Alaska

d my scope has never been damanaged