[Tweeters] Re: Safe to check spotting scope in luggage?

Devorah the Ornithologist birdologist at gmail.com
Wed May 10 23:28:30 PDT 2017

i would never EVER put anything more valuable than a week's supply of used
underpants into checked luggage. reading news stories about the *increase*
in theft of electronics, jewellery and other valuables from checked bags by
TSA is not for the faint of heart:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110810175500/http://www.wtae.com/news/4530735/detail.html

i am also in an electronic conversation right now with a professional
photographer who told me his laptop was stolen from his checked bag and he
had to buy a new laptop to replace it whilst on a layover in iceland. when
i asked him what the airlines did about this, he said they did nothing.
NOTHING. i hugged my precious laptop close and allowed myself to be
tormented by a couple seconds of pure terror before i started googling the
latest regulations for flying in to london, since i am flying there today.
(i am hearing rumours -- only rumours -- that the UK "laptop ban" will soon
be expanded to include europe.)

--
GrrlScientist | @GrrlScientist <https://twitter.com/GrrlScientist>
Blogs: Forbes <http://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/> | Evolution