[Tweeters] Late Rough-legs in WA

Mason Flint masonflint at outlook.com
Fri May 12 10:41:06 PDT 2017

I didn’t report this earlier because the ID was borderline inconclusive but given Bud’s mail I’ll mention it.

Last Sunday I was birding at Stillwater Wildlife Area for 3-4 hours including a long bushwhack out to the river and slogging through ankle deep water upstream before returning to the trail. I don’t recommend that route. ;-)

Just after I got back to the trail I got a brief glimpse of buteo-type hawk fly across the path and into trees. I assumed Red-tail…just because that’s the logical suspect. Before I could get an eye on the bird in the trees if flew again but I caught a glimpse of what seemed to be a white base of tail which made me think Rough-legged which was a big surprise. As it flew off the bird called a couple of times. The call did not sound like a typical Red-tailed Hawk at all. Not the rasping/scraping sound I’m used to. Curious, I opened up my Sibley app and listened to the Rough-legged call and it sounded a lot like the bird I heard.

Bud, maybe a dumb question but do Rough-legged Hawks vocalize regularly? I’ve never heard one before despite seeing them many times.

Also surprising were two Trumpeter Swans flying down the river valley. Didn’t get great looks but they were vocalizing. Fairly late for swans I believe. I also saw a Lincoln’s Sparrow along with tons of regular migrants – Bullock’s Oriole and Black-headed Grosbeak all over and calling. Also saw/photographed one and heard at least three American Bittern.

Mason Flint
Bellevue, WA