[Tweeters] nesting kingfishers

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat May 13 11:12:04 PDT 2017

Everyday for the past few weeks, I hear a kingfisher calling while it's flying over my house. Mostly I've heard one in late morning, heading overland to the west from Lake Washington. But occasionally, when the weather doesn't force me to huddle indoors, and I am out in the afternoon/early evening, I hear one in flight from west to east. I am aware that they tunnel into various sorts of banks (though they spurn credit unions). Apparently the nest tunnels are frequently, unlike I would assume, away from water. I have, in the past, seen kingfishers going in and out of a steep river bank, right next to a river, as well as nesting in a steep bank amidst a tangle of trees and bushes. I do wonder how far away from a source of fish, a kingfisher will maintain a brood...
If any of you have made any interesting observations of kingfishers, either around here or elsewhere, or are knowledgeable of their ways, please feel free to share any tidbits or full-blown stories, either with all Tweets or just moi. Or if you know of a resource that gives more than a couple short sentences about the habits of kingfishers, please let me/us know. I need something to dig into (i.e. read) while enduring this pervasive dank and dour pre-summer weather.
Pre-thanks...

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net