[Tweeters] Skagit birds

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 23:03:55 PDT 2017

Dear Tweeters,
Every once in a while, eBird and AviSys stop talking to one another, which is happening again tonight, so I can't upload my checklists to eBird for this weekend. There were some interesting birds in Skagit County the last two days (13-14 May 2017).
--16 or more American White Pelicans at March Point on Saturday;
--a lone drake Blue-winged Teal at the Game Range Saturday, hard to find amidst all the Gadwalls;
--a lone Snow Goose on Samish Flats Saturday;
--two Rough-legged Hawks on Samish Flats Saturday (now I'm in Bud Anderson's May RLHA club!), the same banded ones that have been out there lately;
--a dozen or more Whimbrel at the Game Range Saturday;
--20 Black Swifts at Concrete Airport this evening;
--a Western Kingbird on Cockreham Island today;
--a spring-plumaged Harris's Sparrow at my feeder today, first ever, (yard bird #157);
--lots of baby birds, such as Mallards and Virginia Rails at Ship Harbor, Hooded Mergansers at Barnaby Slough, Canada Geese at Burlington's K-Mart Pond, Killdeer at Jensen Access, and so forth.
I scratched out 106 species in Skagit County on Saturday, and of course, there were four species today in my yard that didn't show up on Saturday, not to mention a few others upriver. That is always the way with big days. The big miss for the weekend was Western Tanager--not a one in two days of birding.
Well, now I just have to sit back and wait for Bud to send me my secret decoder ring, plus all the other cool stuff that you get when you join the May Rough-leg Club!
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch