[Tweeters] From Moses to Moses, only slightly off topic

David Hutchinson florafaunabooks at hotmail.com
Mon May 15 13:28:14 PDT 2017

Thanks to the several people who gave us recommendations for our birding trip to the Potholes. Of course, we found almost none of them. We did see a Prairie Falcon sailing down the Vantage Hwy and a Forster's Tern and a Lewis Woodpecker in the Columbia WRA. Also in the very first fishing park on Dodson Rd, two White Pelicans popped out from behind a large Russian Olive about 20' away. But Dodson was a mess with high water levels, and lots of infilling, including at the intersection with Frenchman Hills Rd. Bank Swallow was the most interesting bird there. One lonely Swainson's Hawk was about 10 miles East, but the traditional nest on Dodson was gone, as were the trees that held Great Horned & Long-eared Owls.

On our way home, we drove from Jameson Lake down the length of Moses Coulee, noticing a Mtn Bluebird, a Bullock's Oriole and a nice flock of a dozen Ruddy Ducks.

So still lots of nice birds out there but have to say that competing for a highlight in Moses Lake was a teerriffficc restaurant called Michael's on the Lake. It wasn't cheap, but the food was absolutely wonderful. Nuff said. David