[Tweeters] Cle Elum Area Trip for Yakima River Canyon Birdfest Report

B B birder4184 at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 16:07:55 PDT 2017

On Saturday May 12 I had the privilege of leading a trip to Bullfrog Pond and the Northern Pacific Rsilroad Ponds in South Cle Elum as part of the Yakima River Canyon Birdfest put on by the Kittitas Environmental Education Network.  Lots of fun with a good group and nice birds.
One highlight was 5 woodpecker species: Red Breasted and Red Naped Sapsuckers, killer views of a Pileated Woodpecker, Northern Flicker and a Hairy at a nest.  Some others were at least 5 Pygmy Nuthatches, Mountain and Black Capped Chickadees, Western Bluebird, Western Tanagers, Evening and Black Headed Grosbeaks, Chipping Sparrows, Vaux Swifts, Bullocks Oriole and many species of Warblers and Swallows.  And a gorgeous Rufous Hummingbird gleaming for many minutes on an open branch in the sunlight.
Altogether 50+ species.
Afterwards I stopped at Umtanum Creek in the Canyon and had multiple Lazuli Buntings and Yellow Breasted Chats.
Very fun day.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android