[Tweeters] Nisqually 5/22 - MacGillivray's and Lazuli

Tom and Carol Stoner tcstonefam at gmail.com
Mon May 22 15:05:08 PDT 2017

A very good day at Nisqually. I found the MacGillivray's Warbler in the
thickets beside the parking lot between the Visitor's Center and the
Education Center. It's head and chest were a dark charcoal gray and the
white eye arcs were clear, dark olive back, yellow beneath. Other warblers
were Orange-crowned, Yellow, and Wilson's as well as Common
Yellowthroats. No Yellow-Rumps for me.

The Lazuli Bunting was seen from the dike trail to the boardwalk. It was
in the new willows/alders/elderberry between the dike trail and the Twin
Barns observation deck. It perched briefly in bright sunshine and flew off
toward the Nisqually overlook.

>From the Twin Barns observation deck, I saw 2 female Hooded Mergansers with

young. Tree, Violet-green, Barn, Cliff, and Rough-winged Swallows were
visible out on the dike. Other birds included several Swanson's Thrush,
Brown Creeper, Marsh Wren, Bushtits, many Rufous Hummingbirds, Song and
Savannah Sparrows.

No Great Blue Herons today.

Carol Stoner
West Seattle