[Tweeters] Red-breasted Sapsuckers- Mercer Island

notcalm at comcast.net notcalm at comcast.net
Sun Oct 1 23:04:41 PDT 2017

Red-breasted Sapsuckers create and maintain new wells in our large birch tree each year in the Fall.
In past years, one usually arrived at the end of October and stayed for 2-3 weeks.
I was surprised to find two working on the tree today. They called and chased each other around the truck and limbs for about an hour. One remained later in the day.
One of our resident female Anna's quickly found it and watched it from eight feet away.
Always nice to have one working in our yard. It is fun and easy to make frequent observations of it and other birds at the wells.
Dan Reiff