[Tweeters] Montlake Sparrow ID help

Mitch biglou22 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 13:57:36 PDT 2017

I tried for the Clay-colored Sparrow this morning (10/5) around 0730-0830
and found this guy and a Lincoln's as the only 2 that seemed a bit out of
place. I at first thought I had found the Clay but after looking at my apps
started leaning to a young Chipping based on a lack of cheek 'design'. I
saw no reports of either a Chipping or Lincoln's Sparrow on any of the
recent reports and no photos of the Clay from the UW Fields. I read that a
good mark is the presence of or lack of dark lores (which the Chipping does
have) and this guy doesnt have those and it also has a brown rump versus a
grey Chipping rump area but I cant say for sure as it would be my first
Clay-colored. I will try and paste the link to a Flickr album and I welcome
thoughts and inputs either on the Flickr comments, or offline or whichever
works best. Thanks and good birding!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129160593@N03/albums/72157686962967060

Mitchell Von Rotz
Woodinville