Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Oct 5 14:25:33 PDT 2017

Tweets – A gorgeous fall morning, with a full moon being replaced by a brilliant sun. Several of us were unprepared for the 37 degree start temperature, but it fairly quickly warmed up, reaching 60 by the time we left. We had to detour, as the trail was closed from the lake platform east to the south end of the East Meadow so that they can remove the crumbled pavement from the path. It will become (at least for now) a crushed gravel trail. The day was pretty birdy, though we didn’t have anything really rare, just a pretty complete set of what might typically be present.

Highlights:
a.. Cackling Goose – flock of about 25 landed near Teatro Zinzanni
b.. Horned Grebe – late stop at lake verified presence of 4
c.. Western Grebe – 6+ on lake
d.. Ring-billed Gull – confirmed from late view – First of Fall (FOF)
e.. California Gull – also confirmed from late lake view
f.. Northern Harrier – one over Dog Meadow
g.. Sharp-shinned Hawk – several views
h.. Cooper’s Hawk – several views
i.. -All 5 common woodpeckers-
j.. Merlin – several quick or distant views
k.. Pacific Wren – Just one, near dog swim beach #2. FOF
l.. American Pipit – at least one from Viewing Mound around 7am
m.. Orange-crowned Warbler – 2
n.. Common Yellowthroat – 2
o.. Yellow-rumped Warbler – a couple of dozen, both Audubon’s and Myrtle’s
p.. Townsend’s Warbler – one NE of mansion
The only notable misses for the day were Hooded Merganser and Glaucous-winged Gull. Alas, we had no owls either. And no bunnies.

For the day, 63 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com