[Tweeters] RFI Northern Pygmy Owls, Methow Valley

Emily Birchman stollea at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 20:12:29 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I realize this is a terrible time to go to the Methow Valley, what with the
wildfires raging, but I have a trip planned for this weekend with a group
of friends and it's been in the works for many months now, so as long as
the fires are far enough away from where we're actually staying, we're
still going.

That said, every time I go there I always hope to see a Northern Pygmy Owl,
and I was wondering if someone can give me any advice on best places to see
them (assuming said places are not in the wildfire paths). I'll probably
only have one opportunity on this trip to do any birding, so if someone has
a tried and true area, I'd love to know where to go. I dipped on the pygmy
owl that showed up at Tolt Macdonald Park last summer and I'm still
dreaming of seeing one.

I know it's a long shot with the fires and all, but thought I'd still check
to see if someone had any leads. :) I just checked Ebird and I admit I'm
not adept at using it at all, but didn't see any recent records near
Winthrop.

Emily Birchman
Kenmore, WA
stollea at gmail.com