[Tweeters] Adventures in Birding

Diane Weinstein Diane_Weinstein at msn.com
Thu Sep 7 15:16:29 PDT 2017

With previous reports of birders descending upon the nude beach to see the Swallow-tailed Gull, it brought back memories of an incident that occurred to me many years ago.

As a new fledgling birder in Ohio, I went to a state park campground for the weekend. While walking the trails, I spotted my first Scarlet Tanager. Keeping my eyes on the bird, I followed the tanager into a clearing. The tanager then swooped down and I found myself looking at a couple of love birds of the human kind in the grass just a few feet away. Just as I saw them, they looked up at me looking at them through the binoculars. I quickly retreated. My face was probably as bright red as the face of the Scarlet Tanager.

To my embarrassment, and presumably theirs, I encountered the couple everywhere I went that weekend: in the campground, general store and restaurants.

Adventures in birding - you just never know what you are going to see.

Was it worth it? Yes, even though I saw more than I wanted to see, I will never forget my first Scarlet Tanager.

Diane Weinstein

Issaquah