[Tweeters] Pierce County Birds (Franklin's Gull!)

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 19:27:55 PDT 2017

Hello fellow birders!

Since I don't often get full days to bird, I decided to do a Pierce County
Big Day today. Sadly, due to the fires in the mountains, I had to stick to
the lowlands, so no Cascade specialties, but I still had some nice birds!

Highlights included a Purple Martin flying over the Sha Dadx wetlands in
Fife. Getting late for them. Also had an American Coot pair with 3 brand
new chicks at the 56th ave stormwater ponds in Puyallup, my first time
seeing them breed in the county! At Chambers Bay, the 2 Sanderlings were
still present, as was the Baird's Sandpiper. Also at Chambers Bay, a
FRANKLIN'S GULL flew by, heading north.

All in all it was a nice day, with 62 species seen. Ebird checklist:

http://ebird.org/ebird/pnw/view/checklist/S39058158

Christopher Clark
Sumner, WA