[Tweeters] Swallow-tailed Gull Survival potential

ELIZABETH THOMPSON calliopehb at comcast.net
Thu Sep 7 20:49:59 PDT 2017

Hi Tweeters, I have not gotten out to see this rare visitor and likely will not be able to with my schedule. But am curious about the chances of survival of this gull in the long term. the temperatures we are enjoying currently are in range of the climate of the Galapagos Islands and so I would expect being in our region are not causing any problem for this bird at this time. I also assume if it is staying in the area, it must be finding food to sustain itself. Soon the weather will be changing and we will see temperatures drop and storms start arriving as they do each autumn. Would anyone speculate the chances of the survival of this bird which is so far away from it’s normal territory? Does anyone out there do research on these occurrences?
I have often wondered about the rarities which we encounter and to their survival or if it is a matter of time before they succumb to the changes in climate and food sources.
My best regards,

Beth Thompson
Arlington WA